Styling often gets a bad rap, because people think it just means adding “stuff.” It often does – the shoes by the door, the pile of magazines next to the bed, the 1/2 eaten croissant even though no one is in the photo – It can look forced, try-hard, and cluttered really easily. Styling just means giving a space a sense of a personality, and sometimes, that personality is still quiet and on the more minimal side. Even a sophisticated and modern home can have a huge sense of style through a couple of our tips, so stay tuned!
1. Keep the color palette very tight. Adding a lot of colors is the quickest way to make a space look busy and cluttered. Keeping it tonal (a range of colors in the same color family) and mixing with neutrals is the easiest solution to having some color without it getting crazy.
2. Bring in simple lines and shapes. Lose anything with too much ornate detailing or carvings and stick to pieces that keep the eye moving really easily. That porcelain floral figurine lamp from the 50’s should go and instead think about a larger scale pottery lamp.
3. Go for texture. Keep everything in your color palette, but having all your finishes being really smooth and slick can feel cold, so bring in linens, wools, wovens in your textiles and pottery, clay, porcelain in your accessories. Keep the color palette quiet, but the texture still needs to be there for it to look inviting and not like a showroom. Anything handmade is an extra plus.
4. For centerpieces, think about smaller collections of pieces in the same family (like on the dining table). It’s the same bowl in different sizes and as a collection it holds the dining room table nicely, without creating this huge tablescape that commands the whole room.
5. Bring in life through art and plants. Art is your chance to bring in more personality. Keep it simple and quiet, but make a statement to help shake up the seriousness of a more minimal home.
Thank you for being an A.Clore Interiors Blog reader…..
Don’t forget: you can find us on Facebook – “like” us to keep up with the latest and greatest!
Visit our Website for more information on what we are about and how interior design can change your life!